Friday, July 2, 2010

Life on the Farm

Oh, life on a farm is so much fun!!! Can't you hear my excitement. : ) Our farm is very small compared to what some of you lovely ladies have. I am sure my little story is really nothing but kind of funny.

This past weekend my Cowboy and I were working around the yard. I was needing to get the wheelbarrow. When I go into the shed I find this....

Look how close it is to the wheelbarrow. I cautiously and calmly walked out and tiptoed to my Cowboy. (Side note: If you know me, I am not cautious or calm at ALL so this was very hard for me). I even whispered, "I think there is a snake in the shed". (Other side note: I DON'T Whisper. But I am working on that) My Cowboy walked over and said what did it look like, I said black and yellow and I didn't stay longer to find out anymore.


He walks in and names some sort of lizard. Tells me it's been around awhile and walks away. Oh, but he did bring me the wheelbarrow.

YUCK!!!

Here is our growing garden.


Our cucumbers

Look at all of the blooms! More pickling to come!!


We pulled out the squash to plant our tomatoes. They look little in the picture but they have taken off. I am ready to make some salsa.

We haven't had a picture lately of our other babies.

I just wish they would lay already. I'm tired of buying fresh eggs from others.
Oh yeah, that's a rooster. We really shouldn't have him because of HOA rules. Oops. This past weekend Cowboy took care of 2 of the roosters and now we have 2 left. He'll have to take care of those too.





Oh, life on a farm is so much FUN!!!

6 comments:

  1. That is one BIG lizard! Your garden is beautiful! Enjoy your 4th of July weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see those little lizards out in my yard a lot. I always think it's a little snake when I only see the tail! That'll freak you out. Over the weekend, I killed a scorpion in my bedroom! You know how it is, sometimes it's wild kingdom around these parts. I haven't seen a scorpian in a while!

    Be careful of those roosters, I got spurred by one before! Ouch! But I am sure you already know about all that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have done the same thing. I HATE SNAKES. I will purposly run them over in the road if I see them. I will stop & go back & run over several times to make sure they are dead! Yuck, gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about them!
    We have the same black & white chickens, except ours are chickens not roosters.... We have one rooster that is one mean dude. I will try and take pictures this weekend of them.
    :-) We sell the eggs for our chicken feed fund. Well, my kids sell them...hehe! It's their little chore to gather the eggs & feed them. Well, my lil cowboy, lil cowgirl isn't big enough yet...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeeeek! I'm not very fond of lizards and that one is huge! It looks like you will have many more hours of canning ahead of you. The garden has really grown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I did laugh.. I saw your photo and thought wow what a big lizard.. then you said a snake ROFL... the story made me laugh :O)...

    Its to soon to put in anything new for the fall here...just to darn hot! Our cucumbers have gotten so bitter due to the heat I stopped picking them and am pulling the vines... they are done ...

    I too want to make Salsa, I am blanching, skinning and freezing tomatoes as they ripen...then will do what I hope will be a huge batch of Salsa to can!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewwww he is slimmy looking! When we looked at our house there was a dead salamander in the kitchen. Nasty! As for taking care off the roosters just what does taken care of mean!!???I think I know but just making sure!;)

    ReplyDelete

Yee Haw and Hullabaloo,
We love receiving comments especially from you!!
Y'all come back now ya hear.